Emily W’s Backpack

During summer break, we read a book called Finding Someplace by Denise Lewis Patrick. The book takes place in New Orleans, August 2005. In the book Reesie, the main character, is forced out of her house with only a backpack’s worth of belongings. She’s the only person in the house, so she has to get important things for everyone. With only 15 minutes, she has to make smart decisions. The only consequence to forgetting something, is the fact that everything she forgets will be flooded and ruined.

If I were in this situation, with the same tight time frame, I might think about different things to add, starting with clementine oranges. They’re small, healthy, and filling, leaving room in my backpack for everything else. Like Reesie, I would pack money and any electronics with its own wifi. Adding to that, I would bring a pre-charged, on the go charger. I would definitely pack a water bottle in the side pocket and a couple bags of candy. Candy would be helpful because they usually come in mostly flat bags and most people like candy. Bringing passports would also be on the top priority list so that if my town was entirely flooded, I would be able to go somewhere. Oversize sweaters to sleep in would be ideal. Also, feminine and mouth products. I would bring four magazines, One for each person. I would get my dad one of his work ones, my mom a cooking one, my sister I don’t know, and me, an animal one. They would come in handy because they are thin  and are fun to read. Lastly, I would include pairs of backup glasses for each person that needs them.

This was a hard task to think about because I was getting things for each person. When I write this, I am assuming this was a day where both my parents were at work, my sister was at school, and I was randomly home alone. This book has given me the chance to think about this thought and I hope that nothing like this ever happens. At the same time, I’m glad that I read this book, because I got to “see” what it was like to be in hurricane Katrina. I’m happy that I got to see a fresh perspective with this awesome book.