Fun Field trip!

Last Thursday morning, despite the hurricane awaiting us, Durham academy 6th grade got ready to mount the bus to Camp Hanes. In a line, me and half of the 6th grade were in a line, with luggage in hand, filing into bus number two. When I stepped in, I found a seat with my friend by the window, and settled in. After the two and a half hour ride, (I watched a movie and read a book,) we got off and met the counselors. We played two fun games in the big room, then got informed about our cabins. Each cabin had two advisory’s worth of the same gender. When I got to my cabin, I set up my bed and relaxed. Then we had lunch, and prepared for the fun activities ahead of us.

The first activity that my group did was canoeing. They first gave us instructions on how to get in, and then we were off! I usually go kayaking, so there were some things that I had to get used to, but overall it was pretty fun. We were in a three person kayak, so there was one paddle instructor and we would switch over time. When we were done kayaking, my group went back to the airnasium. I played some four-square, and then it was time for archery.

In archery, three people went at a time, meaning that I did not go at first, but it was fun to watch in preparation how others were doing and how to shoot correctly. When it was finally my turn, I missed the target entirely on all five arrows. I went three more times and got a very minimal amount on the target out of 20 arrows. During times when some people were not doing archery, they had the option to play gaga. I preferred watching archery, but I played a game of gaga once. I might have been the only, or one of the only people that went four times, but it was so fun!

All the activities were fun, but I only wrote the first two, the others were rock climbing, team building, and campfire fun. The food was fantastic, and the counselors were very helpful with anything that we needed.The trip was amazing, even though the next morning was freezing. The counselors had fun games planned for us in the gym, and I’m pretty sure everyone enjoyed them. In conclusion,  I really enjoyed my time at Camp Hanes and would definitely go there again.

2 Comments on Fun Field trip!

1. 29emmyt
    October 28, 2022 at 5:44 pm (1 year ago)

I thought it was really nice how you focused what you loved, the positive vibe made me smile!

Reply
  2. 29lilahg
    October 28, 2022 at 5:45 pm (1 year ago)

I loved how your blog was so detailed. I didn’t get to do archery but it sounds very fun!

Reply